After he started working on this,
and was living in California, Paul took acting lessons.
After a lifetime on stage, he said the lessons helped.
He performed the work in clubs several times.
Sketches of Dorian Gray trailer
"Grey Haired Rats" -- Playing piano in a rock band sucks. I've had just about every kind of electric piano ever made. They all stink. More than once, I've had to play some strange approximation of a piano provided by a stupid promoter. One time the piano was 175 feet from the stage. (No you can't move it). Once the "piano" was actually an organ (Hey, it's got keys, what's the problem?) On top of that, keyboard instruments were ridiculed by just about everyone in our crowd it seemed. Too much like British prog-rock or worse, the Doors. Peter Laughner once told me pianos are OK, sometimes, but the pedals are only for squares. -- THE STYRENES by Paul Marotta, Scat Records liner notes here.
- The Styrenes perform "OneFanzine Reader Writes" on Glasgow TV show The Beat Room in 1998.
- This fan posting of “Drano in Your Veins” has better fidelity.
- The Styrenes - All The Wrong PeopleAre Dying
- In C By Terry Riley - A 'rock' orchestration by The Styrenes - Part 1
- The Styrenes in Wikipedia here.